Skip to main content

The woman from Idaho: What I think I am learning about friendship


So...team...this one is...a little unfinished. Forgive me for being unfinished, I just feel like it' s a lesson I'm in process on and just don't have the right answers...if I ever will. Enjoy some vague glimpses into some of my thoughts and concerns. Good luck.

So I feel like I need to learn friendship better...with everyone but especially with women. Being all old...ish and single sucks. It makes you all antsy and paranoid at the same time....like any attractive woman who walks into your life may carry both the burden of complete stranger and potential “mother of my children.”

However, as you may assume, this isn't really fair.

It certainly isn't fair to me...It's stupid. It's setting myself up...What kind of mindless fool walks around unable to picture a member of the opposite sex as anything more than a potential mate...besides roughly 50 percent of men between the ages of 13 and 80.

When I do this I totally cheat myself out of relationship...out of anything deeper than eye candy and external beauty....chocolate cake on display in store window... I'm the fat kid sticking his face up against the glass thinking that proximity is consumption.

Secondly...It's even more unfair to her....I used the word consumption just there....and that is what it is...a means to an end...my own ends. Of course...I, like most people, would never say it like that.

I think I will get married some day...despite all evidence to the contrary. I have gone through a lot of crap and even though I've seen some healing I'm still unfinished, I still have questions. This is normal I suppose but I think before I can ever consider marriage I have to believe better things about myself and others.

I wrote a letter to my wife the other night...the one I don't have. I don't usually do this but a middle ages man told me to in a sermon so I did it. I wrote it to this nameless entity...that existed somewhere outside of space and time...or maybe Idaho...maybe she was in Idaho...I don't know...anyway.... I stood talking to myself....I don't do this to often but sometimes I just have lines that pop into my head and out my mouth and I find myself reciting them into the nothing like Hamlet .

I said something like “I could wed you and bed you...” I know it sounds archaic but I think it was fun because it rhymed... I was speaking to the ideal, the person beyond reach of voice who would be there if she came back from Idaho, and for a moment it was pure.

I didn't know it when I spoke but as the line hit the air and ricocheted of the bed, floor and walls and came back to me I heard the lines unsaid behind them...

...The other lines whispered past my ears, they whisked past like smoke trails off a jet. The next line said “There was beauty in the want...”And I knew was true. I wanted it for all the good things.
...It would be for the search of love, for intimacy, for the goodness and joy I read about in all the stories, for the butterflies and sweaty palms of middle school. It was to know that the search could find it's hope and redemption, the alleviation of suffering. I wanted the mesh of emotions we find in our tears at the end of movies. I wanted ALL the good things.

But then...something else...something I didn't expect.

The lines came quicker and thinner now, like a rope fraying out to a weak end, like the guitar chord rung out with one sour note in it. If emotions had poor grammar I knew I misspelled something. What was it?...Then in one foul moment the thought became as potent as opening a grave. The line, although pure and true on top...still reeked of spoil underneath. At it's root, the base, the bottom most thought and motive and heart was still “me.”

The statement wore the cloak of beauty over the rotting corps of selfishness and self-preservation. This person, this fictional being in my bed, had become a symbol of happiness, a finding of joy,...they become the gateway to those things all the kids dream of and the pop stars sing about. The Daisy among thorns.

This is the greatest paradox in existence in my experience. What I mean is “Love” is the greatest desire of men's hearts and yet the only thing that cannot be fully experienced without the loss of self. It can only be experienced by coming a little out of one's self and experiencing the other fully as themselves, faults and cellulite included.

So...what I'm trying to say, I don't know anyone in Idaho, but even if I did is friendship is not simple and it is not a means to an end. I ought not learn it because if I do I will then be worthy of another's company. I still somehow need to learn friendship is not an exchange and it is not a prize. It is a decision. It is, in all forms, a decision for long suffering, because when most people think about friendship they think about the benefits. Most do not stop to consider the costs, the reality that you take on not only your own burdens but that of the other each day you choose them...It is not about the person you usually think most about,...you.

I don't have it figured out, but I need to care about people better, particularly women. It's not that I don't care...I do...that's why I'm even bringing it up, I guess I'm just realizing I fail. I need to believe better things about others in my heart of hearts, most notably that their lives are not about my pleasure...I guess this is why Jesus seems so persistent in this lesson.

Thanks for Reading,
-JS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday School and the Flannel Board Jesus

When I was a kid I liked Sunday school. Sunday school was about big red cardboard bricks I could build a fort out of and train sets with wooden train tracks I could snap together...and sometimes a flannel board Jesus. I liked Sunday school cause it was mostly about me...it was easy. Life in the Church as an adult is often not like that. There are no building blocks and although Jesus stops being a flannel image people still try to make Him do what they want. I was talking with my friend Neil today. We met at Couple Cups and I started venting. I've been a little bit sick, and tired, and working weird hours for a few weeks so that maybe had something to do with it, but we started talking about Church. He asked me how I was doing in finding one. I started telling Him about some of the good things, small groups, friends, food, jumping into some tough stuff that I need to talk about...It's been frustrating too though. I'm not always understood and sometimes it's hard to

I Am Sorry

Family and Friends, To those I love, have loved, may yet love in the life to come…I am sorry. I am sorry this life is not what it should be. I am sorry for your pain. I am sorry that we are tired. That the U and I of our union is too often the I and U of our triune existence, the battle between the self – our secrets - and being seen. We are the loneliest of liars, even to ourselves. We are all caveats and cliché, busy being; that which we are, too often traded for what we are in the face of what we are not. I am sorry. I wish I could tell you I think I am a fool. That I am sinful and scarred. I wish I could tell you that I need you to think I am beautiful, that I am powerful, that I am strong. Dad look at me! …That the words I am sacred, I am holy, only ring true to me in a hollow distant way, the way words spoken of others can be pretended over oneself…a remembering and wishing simultaneously. I wish you could tell me you love me and

The Why: How to How well?

Sorry this one is a little late getting out. I've had a lot going on lately. Enjoy. My church community group talked about service the other night, how we can serve and love people better. It was healthy, but I've been thinking a lot about the serving thing lately. I want my life to have meaning and to serve others but I want to do it for joy and not for duty. However, when I think about what I love the list is very me focused usually. I love a good brew, fresh pipe tobacco, a healthy work out, and good body image. I like being full and rested and clean. I love speaking about God, encountering God, and I love seeing others do the same. None of these are bad things, but most are things that cost me very little and offer even less to others. The other day I walked over a bridge that had “Turn off your brain and float down the river” chalked into the sidewalk. I don't generally listen to chalk signs but I just let my mind take in the sun and the sound of birds and the beaut