Skip to main content

Channeling My Inner Bon-Iver: Stealing a Pie Pan


I've started to refer to this time as “Jordan Time”...a time when I concentrate on well...me. Tonight I got to have some good me time...good “Speez” time...as the kids say. I went outside...got to sit down, smoke my pipe... play this nylon string guitar I borrowed from a friend of mine. I even wore my super skinny jeans and my beanie bought at a thrift store in Wisconsin. It went along well with my discount slip-ons and thrift store hoodie. I was channeling my inner Bon Iver singing in overly high falseto and being all woodsie. I thought I should throw on a flannel and after making a gold albumn crack open a barrel of fermented backwoods maple syrup as a chaser. I have provided a picture that some of you have been asking for for your viewing enjoyment....I didn't take it...I am smoking a pipe...(Thanks to Meg for catching me being picturesque.).. O enough of that! I got to think about this thing that happened today. I think it was good but...well, let me explain.

Today I stole stuff, well, I didn't mean to steal stuff, I guess I didn't really steal stuff...I almost did. I didn't really tell myself I was stealing stuff....it was more a glorified treasure hunt. It was just sort of an instinct that kicked in.

So every year we have to go around and close down the halls on campus. We go through all the rooms, every single one. Anything that is left in the hall ways of the residence halls we move to recycling and we turn over as donations and that's all good, but then as it happens. On one day you and a small group of people go through each and every single room in a single living area, and in there people leave drawers full of stuff, money and clothes and fun little trinkets. And all this stuff that your supposed to leave. We “bag and tag” it. This basically means we load people's stuff into large black backs and label it and put it in cold storage for them to come back and get. Once we are done with that it it can stay there for up to an entire year and then most of it will be given to charity...or something.

For some rooms though, when there wasn't a certain dollar amount of merchandise, if it wasn't worth it for people to pay our storage charges...we just left it..I wasn't really sure what happened to all the stuff we left.

And this type of thought followed me around a little bit...the little voice that says... “that's cool...I wonder where those head phones are going...don't you wonder Jordan?” And I say “Why yes,...Yes Voice I do.”

The other day, I broke my head phones. I felt like God gave me one of his little “Jordan prompts.” I do not have a better phrase for that so...don't judge me....for those of you who don't know me and/or aren't Christians...well...just let me have this for the sake of this piece ok? God's little voice inside my head was like “Hey Jordan, wear your Big Head Phones.” And I was all “But God, my big head phones are inconvenient for this task” And he was all “Wear them.” When I said “Emmm....” He was all “Ok ok, just wear the little ones it's cool. I got you.” And I was like “I still don't feel awesome about that but...ok cause that's what I want to do anyway.” About a minute later I walked out of my bedroom and promptly did that thing where your ear phone cord catches on something solid...say, your bed post and then gets ripped out of your ears. It may even stretch or even rip the wires in the thin rubber protection, this rendering the headphones “broke.” Ya...so...that happened and I was all like “Ahh...that could have been why you said bring the big head phones so they wouldn't break on the bed” And he was all “...told you....but I still got you.” And I was like... “I know I suppose if you were gonna take those you can provide something else...” and he was like, “just trust me” and I was like “aright.”

So today as we were going through the rooms there was one that was just trashed, but this room has some high-price tag merchandise. Just chillin on this dresser next to matches, gum, a nail clippers, and half used Noxzema there was a pair of probably 200 dollar inner ear head phones. I'm not gonna lie, my first reaction was just to leave them on the dresser. I thought perhaps if they just stayed on the dresser long enough...maybe...by some chance...I would end up with them. I knew if they went in the bag they were dead to me. So I knew it wasn't probably likely...but I wanted them out of the bag...the dresser meant life for my little inner ear head phone dreams. I wanted God to say “Here they are...your new inner ear head phones!” but I wasn't sure and had virtually no grounds to make that a remote possibility.

I didn't take them...I showed the group with me and placed them...with much sadness...in the bag.

Much of the day went like this...nothing else big, but these little things that we had to leave were catching my eyes.

I was told by another employee that he thought everything go thrown away by janitorial staff later...me being a good Samaritan thought I would free our landfills of unnecessary waste product and would do my duty as an American citizen by filching left overs to my office.

After we got done I went back around and took some stuff that was left that I thought was going to be thrown away...I took matches and Chicken Noodle Soup ….just little things, things that don't really matter. But there started to be this weight of conviction that was like a heavy blanket settling upon my shoulders.

When I had put those lovely headphones in the bag earlier, I had felt good like. I knew I didn't really “need” them and if God needed me to have these headphones he would provide them another way. It was somewhere I could sacrifice to his provision.

And then I found myself, after I had given the big thing away, and felt that goodness, just feeling like I'd done what was right so my guard came down.

I went back to my office and saw the cake plan full of goodies I'd collected. It was a ten year olds treasure chest; matches, gum, pennies, soap...ok maybe not a ten year olds treasure chest with soap, but it was mine and it was a fools chest...with fools gold.

I had a couple of errands to run down at the main office and I knew my supervisors would still be there. The first was on the phone so I just went past his office...I asked another co-worker and she didn't know but what I really wanted was somebody to tell me “just take it, it's no big deal” and give me a knowing smile just to relieve my conscious.

There was one more stop I should make. I really wanted to ask like I wanted to put those headphones in the bag. Even though I didn't know it was wrong technically, I knew there was a part of me that thought it might be, and because of that I didn't want to ask. I was afraid I might be told no.

When I did ask I was met with an emphatic “No!” After some explaining I was told I didn't need to go return it all, it was miscellaneous stuff, nothing of value, but that tomorrow I should just start over....Nothing could leave a student's room.

As I returned to my office I started slowly, then with quickening speed. I returned the goods each to a different room and went back to my office. I didn't have to, but I needed to, for me.

I had gone over hours but wasn't about to count that time against my paycheck. “What a fool!” I thought. Is this really what I am willing to be?

For what was I searching, just to have more treasures for me and mine. I suppose it is easy to understand a selfish desire for a big thing, we can all forgive those because we know them. We all experience them....It was harder to understand a selfish desire for small things...a pie plate of nothings. And yet, I almost didn't catch that it was a problem. I could have almost busied my mind with another task and forgotten it until the angst left. It was so small it was almost excusable...but it was the meal worm in the apple. The little bug of a thing in me that just wanted to be forgotten and burrow deeper...It liked it's home down there in the selfish darkness of my soul. I know it was just one...there are others in there I'm sure...we all have them. But I suppose some part of me was happy to offer back to God a pie plate of nothings, to catch a little bug at his work. It is only then that I can trust Him to give me better, and not better trinkets, but better desires, better hopes, better dreams.

Jesus lived a life, one tired from exhaustion half the time, single, celibate, homeless, etc, and yet he went...he lived and even died and I don't think just as a broken fleshy being hoping for something more than life as a carpenters son, but he died as the most fulfilled man on this planet. His cause was the love of God, the Spirit of God, and in so knowing that, he found a treasure worth the cost of Himself.

A sacrifice of head phones that were never mine hardly makes me a martyr...but it is good to remember his sovereignty is better than my plans, his blessings maybe poverty or wealth, but both are only valuable in the hands of He that provided them. Giving of our wealth or even our lack of resources back to God is an act of trust that He can and will provide that which we need.


Thanks for Reading,
J-Speezy





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday School and the Flannel Board Jesus

When I was a kid I liked Sunday school. Sunday school was about big red cardboard bricks I could build a fort out of and train sets with wooden train tracks I could snap together...and sometimes a flannel board Jesus. I liked Sunday school cause it was mostly about me...it was easy. Life in the Church as an adult is often not like that. There are no building blocks and although Jesus stops being a flannel image people still try to make Him do what they want. I was talking with my friend Neil today. We met at Couple Cups and I started venting. I've been a little bit sick, and tired, and working weird hours for a few weeks so that maybe had something to do with it, but we started talking about Church. He asked me how I was doing in finding one. I started telling Him about some of the good things, small groups, friends, food, jumping into some tough stuff that I need to talk about...It's been frustrating too though. I'm not always understood and sometimes it's hard to

I Am Sorry

Family and Friends, To those I love, have loved, may yet love in the life to come…I am sorry. I am sorry this life is not what it should be. I am sorry for your pain. I am sorry that we are tired. That the U and I of our union is too often the I and U of our triune existence, the battle between the self – our secrets - and being seen. We are the loneliest of liars, even to ourselves. We are all caveats and cliché, busy being; that which we are, too often traded for what we are in the face of what we are not. I am sorry. I wish I could tell you I think I am a fool. That I am sinful and scarred. I wish I could tell you that I need you to think I am beautiful, that I am powerful, that I am strong. Dad look at me! …That the words I am sacred, I am holy, only ring true to me in a hollow distant way, the way words spoken of others can be pretended over oneself…a remembering and wishing simultaneously. I wish you could tell me you love me and

The Why: How to How well?

Sorry this one is a little late getting out. I've had a lot going on lately. Enjoy. My church community group talked about service the other night, how we can serve and love people better. It was healthy, but I've been thinking a lot about the serving thing lately. I want my life to have meaning and to serve others but I want to do it for joy and not for duty. However, when I think about what I love the list is very me focused usually. I love a good brew, fresh pipe tobacco, a healthy work out, and good body image. I like being full and rested and clean. I love speaking about God, encountering God, and I love seeing others do the same. None of these are bad things, but most are things that cost me very little and offer even less to others. The other day I walked over a bridge that had “Turn off your brain and float down the river” chalked into the sidewalk. I don't generally listen to chalk signs but I just let my mind take in the sun and the sound of birds and the beaut