Skip to main content

An Apology:

Today I opened a book and was slapped across the face. I know this doesn't happen often as books do not have palms, however, on this day it did.

I attended Arcata First Baptist Church Sunday morning. It was the first time I had gone there and it is within walking distance of campus. I arrived a few minutes before the service and sat around half way back in a pew mostly to myself.

Standard Church, white haired guy in the pulpit, guy with a snap shirt and faded jeans playing the guitar occasionally whispering breathy things into the microphone like John Mayer. Maybe not so standard outside of Pentecostal services but fun none the less, two token white haired old woman waving pink, blue, and green, banners along side colorful stained glass windows showing ancient trees reaching up towards the stars.

After the music ended and the hands went down, a man in his middle forties stood up in the pulpit. He introduced the communion supper to the congregation. I don't remember his words but a phrase stuck out to me, “child like.” He said something like “who of you out there are living with a “me first” attitude. A child like selfishness where you are the focus of everything you do? God is just an inconvenience? And how many of you are, believing in child like faith that Jesus will provide all things. That He gives us what is needed and even more? How many of us are satisfied in Jesus and know that He is enough today?”

He said it much better than that. It wasn't near as guilt trippy as I made it sound. He was really just trying to help us examine our hearts before communion, to be reminded that the act was significant...it was more than bread and juice, Jesus snack.

I sat in my pew - the words from the pulpit roused me out of my monotony and disinterest. I had wanted to take communion but he made a good point. What was I doing? Was I actually taking communion in the belief and confession that He IS providing all I need and I AM trusting Him today? Or am I doing an act of the religious fabric in habitual or mechanic indifference?

I am being honest now. I've been struggling a bit lately. It's just happened slowly...and it was the “little things.” It's the things that don't really matter because it doesn’t seem to really change the way my day went...I mean I've still been reading my Bible a bit and spending time reading and writing...a little bit at least...and praying...still doing that a bit too. I wasn't being too legalistic, I was living in the freedom Christ has allowed...right? Not many overt sins of omission nor comission. But I suppose I've let my mind wander. I've been waiting for God to provide me things and even though my voice prayed to God my heart prayed to hope in something else.

I opened my journal and penned “I feel my life has had a lot of the me first attitude lately...I confess and repent. I have an over zealous fascination with my own life. I mean who writes a book about themselves? My desires, hope in my being published, potential relationships, they all were hopes I could crawl inside...really anything that will give me significance.”

I ate the bread and drank the juice but there was still a question in my heart.

The afternoon passed and eventually I found myself in a sitting window in a coffee shop in down town Eureka. I pulled out a book I tried to read months ago and couldn't get into. I had picked it up again on Friday or Saturday and had read only a few pages but I was ready to read it now.

As I opened up to this page...the hand reached out and slapped me...gently..and beautifully in a way. Through the pages of No Man Is and Island Thomas Merton said:

“To consider persons and event and situations only in the light of their direct effect upon myself is to live on the doorstep to Hell....I cannot even make my own body obey me. When I give it pleasure, it deceives my expectation and makes me suffer pain...I deceive myself and find that I am the prisoner of my own blindness and selfishness and insufficiency.”

I think this is true, and so I confess. I think about myself way to much. I cannot say I know how to end this or how to fix it, except that I want to.

Maybe for the first time in my life, in the last year and a half-ish, I actually want Jesus to change my life. I want Him more than anything else and I also know that I forget that on a daily basis. Even though all things are permissible I do not want to take that which will harden my heart against God. I do not want to be Pharaoh and harden my heart so many times that I forget to be in awe of the signs God has given me. And although not everything is beneficial I want to be able to live in the Freedom to see the goodness in God and trust in His person above all other things of this world.

I am sorry ahead of time for failing at this..but I would ask you to pray that I can stop living in a me centered world and start living where Jesus lives. He would live in me for sure, but I would live with Him everywhere else too. I think when He is my hearts desire and I go to seek Him in the hearts and minds of those around me, my heart will be less captive to those images, those things that give me significance that I pine after. I then will remember that I am free to love the world well, because Christ loved it first. I will know that the seeking of a desired object or image or being or whatever, that is the slavery, the constant pursuit of that which cannot salve the rawness found upon soul. There is only one antidote and that only found outside of me.

Thanks for reading,
-JS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday School and the Flannel Board Jesus

When I was a kid I liked Sunday school. Sunday school was about big red cardboard bricks I could build a fort out of and train sets with wooden train tracks I could snap together...and sometimes a flannel board Jesus. I liked Sunday school cause it was mostly about me...it was easy. Life in the Church as an adult is often not like that. There are no building blocks and although Jesus stops being a flannel image people still try to make Him do what they want. I was talking with my friend Neil today. We met at Couple Cups and I started venting. I've been a little bit sick, and tired, and working weird hours for a few weeks so that maybe had something to do with it, but we started talking about Church. He asked me how I was doing in finding one. I started telling Him about some of the good things, small groups, friends, food, jumping into some tough stuff that I need to talk about...It's been frustrating too though. I'm not always understood and sometimes it's hard to

I Am Sorry

Family and Friends, To those I love, have loved, may yet love in the life to come…I am sorry. I am sorry this life is not what it should be. I am sorry for your pain. I am sorry that we are tired. That the U and I of our union is too often the I and U of our triune existence, the battle between the self – our secrets - and being seen. We are the loneliest of liars, even to ourselves. We are all caveats and cliché, busy being; that which we are, too often traded for what we are in the face of what we are not. I am sorry. I wish I could tell you I think I am a fool. That I am sinful and scarred. I wish I could tell you that I need you to think I am beautiful, that I am powerful, that I am strong. Dad look at me! …That the words I am sacred, I am holy, only ring true to me in a hollow distant way, the way words spoken of others can be pretended over oneself…a remembering and wishing simultaneously. I wish you could tell me you love me and

The Why: How to How well?

Sorry this one is a little late getting out. I've had a lot going on lately. Enjoy. My church community group talked about service the other night, how we can serve and love people better. It was healthy, but I've been thinking a lot about the serving thing lately. I want my life to have meaning and to serve others but I want to do it for joy and not for duty. However, when I think about what I love the list is very me focused usually. I love a good brew, fresh pipe tobacco, a healthy work out, and good body image. I like being full and rested and clean. I love speaking about God, encountering God, and I love seeing others do the same. None of these are bad things, but most are things that cost me very little and offer even less to others. The other day I walked over a bridge that had “Turn off your brain and float down the river” chalked into the sidewalk. I don't generally listen to chalk signs but I just let my mind take in the sun and the sound of birds and the beaut